PSA Peugeot Citroën’s new-generation global modular platform has a wealth of advantages, including advanced modularity, weight savings of 70 kg, high-performance technologies, enabling a 22% reduction in CO2 emissions and new possibilities for a diverse range of body styles. It also provides increased safety, driving pleasure and comfort. The new EMP2 platform (short for Efficient Modular Platform 2) is expected to cover 50% of total production in the long term. The first vehicles to feature these innovations will be the replacements for the New C4 Picasso and the Peugeot 308.
The reason behind this innovation?
- To develop vehicles that are more innovative, lighter, and even safer
- To improve the competitive performance of the Group in all areas: purchasing, design, production and TCO (Total Cost of Ownership)
What is it exactly?
- A modular new-generation global platform for future vehicles in the C & D segments (half of Group production)
- A single platform for a range of body styles: hatchback and saloon, coupé, cabriolet, estate, MPV* and SUV
- Weight savings of 70 kg thanks to the use of innovative lightweight materials (very high yield strength steel, aluminium, composites), new shaping and assembly processes and “downsized” compact, high-performance powertrains
- Efficient technologies to cut CO2 emissions by 22%: Stop & Start, Selective Catalytic Reduction for Euro 6 engines, electric power steering, tyres with ultra-low rolling resistance, etc
- International deployment in our plants from 2013:- at Vigo, Spain, for the launch of the vehicle replacing the Citroën C4 Picasso
- - at Sochaux, France, for the launch of the vehicle replacing the Peugeot 308
- - then at Wuhan, China, in 2014
What are the benefits for users?
- New styling trends for modern and attractive vehicles: large wheels, four corner wheels, low bonnet and low driving position
- Driving pleasure and comfort: performance, handling and new equipment (driving aids, etc.)
- Reinforced quality, safety and reliability
- Smaller eco-footprint: fuel consumption reduction
Patents & Partners
- 116 patents filed by PSA Peugeot Citroën